GIGA Material Challenge is celebrating its third anniversary! The last GIGA Material Challenge of 2015 is back to Yang Design Museum (Shanghai) again, and we arrange a special speech “Material innovation and the Smart City”, come to join us!
We've successfully invited Voxflor, Camira, HunterDouglas, Xingyue carpet and Universal Fibers. Let's look forward to their Challenges!
Date: Sunday, October 25th, 2015, 10:15-16:30, Sign-up starts at 10:15
Address: Building 10, Bund1919, No. 258 West Songxing Road, Baoshan District, Shanghai
Metro Directions: Metro Line 3, Song bin Station
Cost: Free. Both individual and company are welcomed to join
Food and drinks provided throughout the event.
How to register
1. Sign up in teams of Four. If your team has less than four, GIGA will assign other people to fill up the team.
2. Audience: Interior Designers, Architects, Develers, Builders, etc. Both Individuals and companies are welcome to join.
3. Oneline registration is required: www.gigabase.org/mc
Space is limited, first come, first served.
How to Compete
1. Get your team number when signing up on the day of the event. (please arrive on time)
2. 25 Teams of Designers will be competing. Each team completes participating Brand's Tasks one at a time.
3. Any tools required will be provided. Each team has 30 minutes to finish each task.
4. The highest score for each task is 100. The team with highest total score wins the GIGA Material Challenge.
5. Tasks and scoring criteria will be given on the day of the event.
Win Extra Points
The Material Challenge is a knowledge and team building activity. Your team can earn bonus points by:
1. Earn 2 bonus points if all team members wear matching outfits with a unifying theme. 1 bonus points will be given if the outfits are innovative.
2. Earn 2 bonus points if your team is comprised entirely of designers, engineers, specifiers and librarians, or project managers from the same company. (example: interior design, architectural design, technical services, structural, mechanical, or project management).
* Don’t forget your Name cards, they’re required to qualify for bonus points 2.
Why GIGA Material Challenge?
- Discover the full potential of building materials.
- Experiment with the most innovative Green products.
- Collaborate with colleagues to compete, learn and have fun.
- Meet likeminded industry professionals.
- Win Prizes (Grand Prize is iwatch sport).
Schedule (October 25th, Sunday)
10:15-10:45: Sign up (Please come on time, we will assign team number then)
10:45-11:15: Welcome address
11:20-11:50: Material Challenge Round 1
12:00-12:30: Material Challenge Round 2
12:30-14:00: Lunch & Speech
Speech starts at 12:50
14:00-14:30: Material Challenge Round 3
14:40-15:10: Material Challenge Round 4
15:20-15:50: Material Challenge Round 5
Know your building materials and create better designs!
Partner：YANG DESIGN Museum (YDM)
Photos of past events：
- August 22nd, 2015, Beijing: https://www.gigabase.org/en/mc#events/9/gallery
- April 18th, 2015, Shanghai: http://www.gigabase.org/en/mc#events/8/gallery
- October 25th, 2014, Shanghai: http://www.gigabase.org/mc#events/6/gallery
- September 20, 2014, Beijing: http://www.gigabase.org/mc#events/5/gallery
- July 12th, 2014, Beijing: http://www.gigabase.org/mc#events/3/gallery
- June 21th, Shanghai: http://www.gigabase.org/mc#events/1/gallery
- March 1st, 2014, Beijing: http://www.gigabase.org/mc#events/4/gallery
Video of past events：
- June 21, 2014, Shanghai：http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNzMxODk2MTk2.html
GIGA & GIGA Material Challenge
GIGA is a building and material think tank with locations in Shanghai, Beijing and Montreal. One of GIGA's aims is to research cutting-edge materials and highlight innovative products. We introduced GIGA Material Challenge as a way for designers and architects to experiment with materials in the truest sense; with "hands on" activities. Custom designed by suppliers, Material Challenges are fun, showing the unique properties and features of materials and build designers’ expertise.
YANG DESIGN Museum (YDM) INTRO:
YANG DESIGN Museum (YDM) is China’s first private museum in the field of industrial design. It was founded by famous industrial designer Jamy YangMingjie to develop as a comprehensive public platform with creative basis of many exhibitions, publications, research projects and education, dedicating to making people familiar with Chinese industrial design industry and supporting Shanghai’s image of design capital.
Housed in a former power station of cotton mill upwards of 5000 square meters with hundred years history in the Redtown Art and Design Center (ADC) of Shanghai, YDM has kept old concrete frame construction, coal transport bridge, large blanking funnel and power set base interiorly and been newly designed five steel-work split levels in pure white color. Old patches of pillars and new white and concise box-shapes are set off by sharp contrast of different colors and materials.
YANG Design Museum has exhibited the founder’s extensive collection of classic design objects from industrial revolution in UK till now, hundreds pieces of contemporary good products recognized by top four international design awards including Red Dot, IF, G-Mark and IDEA. It has been clued to induce visitors to think about people’s lifestyle, historical humanities and aesthetics in different area and age or from different culture and ethnic group. YDM explores advanced thinking of future design trends and methodologies with developing professional lab working on innovative materials application on CMF (Color, Material, Finishing), color trends forecasting, user study and public and service design.
*Tentatively not open to public. Guest RSVP only.